BY LAW NO. 36
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
1. This By Law shall be known as and may be cited as the "Committee of the Whole By Law".
2. Council hereby establishes a Committee of the Whole, consisting of all of the councillors, to meet at least once a month.
3. Council or Committee of the Whole may cancel or re-schedule a meeting of the Committee of the Whole by advising Councillors at the earliest possible time.
4. The Committee of the Whole will be responsible for all matters which would be of concern to the Municipal Council.
5. Meetings of the Committee of the Whole shall be open to the public, unless the Committee moves into an In-Camera session which complies with the Municipal Government Act (MGA) (Section 22(2)). The public, with permission from the majority of Council, may address the Committee. This excludes comments on matters where there are existing meeting procedures with First or Second Readings, or other matters that have a public process in place.
6. Staff reports shall be presented to the Committee of the Whole.
7. Committee of the Whole will meet for the purposes of discussion and possible recommendation to Council. No formal decisions will be made when the councillors are meeting as Committee of the Whole. Recommendations of the Committee of the Whole shall be voted upon at a future Council Meeting.
8. Committee of the Whole may, in its discretion, decide not to refer a staff recommendation to Council if the Committee feels that recommendation would not be appropriate at that time.
9. (a) The Committee of the Whole shall appoint a presiding officer at meetings of the Committee of the Whole. In the absence of a presiding officer, the Warden or Deputy Warden shall preside.
(b) In the absence of both the Warden and Deputy Warden the Committee of the Whole may appoint a chairperson from the members present.
10. After the Council Agenda is completed, then the meeting will be open to the public for questions or comments on matters discussed at Committee, for a period not to exceed twenty minutes
11. The Clerk shall ensure that minutes are recorded of all of the discussions and recommendations of the Committee of the Whole.