The Municipality of Clare's Building Services include:
- Building Permits
- Development Permits
- Fire Inspections
- Civic Numbering
- By Law Enforcement
Building permit requirements:
Building permits are required for all types of construction (building, renovating, demolishing or relocating).
Contact the Building Services before starting your project to determine if that project is permitted and what would the requirements be prior to development. Business hours: Monday – Friday, between 8:30am -12pm and 1-4:30pm.
To make an appointment with a building inspector, phone (902) 769-2031.
What could I possibly need before applying for a building permit?
On-site sewage system approval from the Department of Environment
Driveway permit from the Department of Transportation and infrastructure Renewal
Easement from Nova Scotia Power for electrical connection.
A set of building plans with details on foundation, footings, columns, carrying beams, floor joists, bearing walls and roof trusses/rafters
Plot plan with setbacks and distances from any adjacent properties, other structures on the lot and street lines
Review our land use by-laws to ensure that your development is appropriate in the zone.
When are inspections required?
Provincial Building Code Regulations require a total of five mandatory inspections. It is your responsibility to notify (24 hours in advance) the Building Services that you are ready for the appropriate inspection.
The Building Inspector will inspect the following stages of construction:
- When footings are in place (before placement of concrete).
- a) When the foundation is in place and before backfilling.
b) Underground plumbing.
- When the framing, roof, plumbing and mechanical are in place (must remain exposed for inspection).
- When the insulation and vapour barrier has been installed (must remain exposed for inspection).
- Before occupancy of the building.
Before moving into the new building, and occupancy permit is required to ensure that all work completed complies with the Building Code and no unsafe conditions exist (this is mandatory!). Contact the Building Services to obtain an occupancy permit.
The following requires Building and/or Development Permits:
- Construction of a new building
- Structural change
- Building demolition
- Building relocation
- Change of use
- Residential accessory buildings over 144 square feet (12’ x 12’)
- Decks and stairs
- Roof enclosure over an existing or new deck
- Non-structural alterations/renovations valued over $5,000.00
Note: Any work not included in the approved Building Permit such as decks or finished basements will require a separate permit.
The following DO NOT require Building and/or Development Permits
- Cosmetic repairs such as painting
- Change of occupant with same use
- Replacing doors and windows in existing openings; unless the structure is altered or the value is over $5,000.00
- Replacing roofing; unless the structure is altered
- Non-structural work value less than $5,000.00
The Building Services will need the following information when you apply for a permit:
Complete set of building plans/construction drawings
Value of construction
Names of the contractors, general contractors, licensed plumber, licensed electrician, mason, etc.
Site plan with dimensions from building(s) to property lines, any water source or road.
Note: It is the responsibility of the owner and the contractor to ensure all work carried out is in accordance with the Building Code and the Land Use By-Law, even if a permit is not required
Building permit fees:
It shall be a policy of the Council of the Municipality of the District of Clare that fees for building permits shall be as follows:
a) structural repairs, alterations, relocation and new foundations
- Permit fees for structural repairs and alterations: $25.00
- Relocation permits, sheds: $25.00 (when relocating within Clare) or 0.15¢ X square feet for out of area relocation
- New foundations: $50.00
b) New construction, additions and relocations
- Residential: 0.15¢ per square foot of living area;
- Barns, garages and sheds:
One story: 0.12¢ per square foot;
Two stories: 0.12¢ per square foot for the first level and 0.10¢ per square foot for the second level or more
Commercial and all other non-residential uses not provided for herein: 0.17¢ per square foot.
Where contract prices available, cost will be 0.002¢ X amount of contract.
c) Building permit renewal fee: $25.00
Drawing requirements for new buildings/additions:
One complete set of construction drawings is required. These drawings must be drawn to scale and should include the following:
- Site Plan: property and building dimensions and distances to property lines.
- Structural Drawings: foundation plan (type, size & dimensions), floor plans, columns, bearing walls, stairs, ramps, roof plan and structural details.
- Building Elevations: exterior finishes (all views), finished grade level, windows, doors, chimneys, stairs, etc.
- Floor Plans: every room dimensions, wall types, window and door schedules and room finish schedules.
- Sections: building and wall sections (all construction materials), grade level, floor heights, and stair sections.